People of the town!
Main objective: By the end of the semester/year each participant will have presented another person from the local community by conducting an interview with them.
Class type: Secondary
Aim: Creation of a community profile site/cd, highlighting people and stories from the local community.
Activity Focus: Speaking, reading, writing
Time: Maximum 20 to 30 minutes.
Material: Computer with internet access/headphones
- Teacher sets up a blog named “People of ____(the respective town/city)____”.
- Teacher shows students how to use Audacity.
- Teacher shows students how to use Podbean as he/she sets up an account and uploads an introductory message with a photo.
- Teacher show students how to embed the Podbean files on the blog.
- Student pick from a hat, which week they need to do the assignment.
- Each week two of the students must each choose someone from the local community to interview and clear the questions with the teacher.
- The following week the two students must organize, with the teacher’s help if necessary, a time to do the interview. The interview must contain at least 5 questions and must last from 20-30 minutes. The interview must be conducted using skype.
- The students must add a jingle for beginning, middle, and end using audacity.
- The students then must upload their podcast to podbean
- The students must then embed their podbean on the class blog.
- The students may also add a picture of the person they interviewed as long as they have consent.
- If the person they interviewed does not speak English, the student can do the interview in their native language and translate the transcript.